Connect with us

News

Military retirees protest delayed pension adjustments in Abuja

Published

on

Military retirees on Wednesday protested in Abuja over the alleged delay in implementing consequential adjustments to their pensions following salary increases for serving personnel.

The pensioners had gathered at an open field near the Ministry of Defence and were heading towards the ministry’s main gate when soldiers blocked their path.

Police officers and personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) also joined the soldiers in restricting access to the ministry, while tanks and other security vehicles were deployed around the area.

The veterans subsequently moved to a road median, where they addressed journalists and expressed their grievances.

The protest centred on what the retirees described as the non-implementation of consequential adjustments to their pensions.

President Bola Tinubu had recently approved a new salary package for members of the Armed Forces, including a 30 per cent increase for officers above the rank of colonel.

Personnel from colonel to warrant officer are to receive a 50 per cent increase, while those from private to staff sergeant are to benefit from an 80 per cent increase.

Speaking on behalf of the protesters, retired Lieutenant Colonel Innocent Anas said military pensioners should receive corresponding adjustments whenever the salaries of serving personnel are increased.

“We have paid our dues in patriotic service to this nation,” Anas said.

“There is a constitutional provision that when you increase the pay of any personnel, there should be a consequential allowance, consequential adjustment for pensioners.”

He said the failure to adjust pensions had created disparities in which some recently retired lower-ranking personnel could receive higher pensions than officers who retired several years ago.

“A couple of sergeants who retired recently could be receiving a pension higher than that of a captain who retired 10 years back, and they served the same military,” he said.

Anas said the pensioners were particularly concerned that a salary increase approved for military and paramilitary personnel in November 2025 had yet to reflect in their pensions.

“November last year, this is August this year; they have not implemented it as if it’s a scam, and then a new pronouncement comes up again,” he said.

The retired officer said any implementation of the latest salary structure should include a corresponding adjustment for pensioners in line with the Constitution and the Armed Forces Act.

“If they want to implement it by law, constitution, and the Armed Forces Act, there should be a consequential adjustment that is an increase in the pay of pensioners to meet up to par,” he said.

Anas also alleged that pensioners were excluded from the computation of funds required to implement the latest salary adjustment.

“You are depriving them of their constitutional and legal right,” he said.

He warned that continued failure to adjust the pensions would further widen the disparity between older and recent retirees.

“What it means is that as a retired lieutenant colonel, I retired many years ago, my pension could be the equivalent of a lieutenant who retired just recently, because they don’t want to do the adjustment that is constitutional and legal,” Anas said.

He added that the retirees would consider marching to the Presidential Villa in the coming days if their demands were not addressed.

Trending