Investigation
Navy rescues 22 sea robbery victims in Akwa Ibom


The Nigerian Navy has rescued 22 passengers who were abducted by suspected sea robbers after their wooden passenger boat was hijacked along the Calabar–Oron–Ibaka waterway in Akwa I om State.
The passengers were rescued following a coordinated operation by personnel of the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Ibaka, in collaboration with Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) Sector 4 and the Marine Police.
The Director of Naval Information, Navy Captain Abiodun Folorunsho, disclosed this in a statement at the weekend.
According to Folorunsho, the incident occurred on August 11, 2026, when the passenger boat, travelling from Henshaw Town Beach in Calabar to Utan Uyata, Ibaka, was intercepted by armed sea robbers shortly after passing Enwang Community.
He said the assailants hijacked the vessel and abducted its passengers, prompting personnel of the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Ibaka, in collaboration with Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) Sector 4 and the Marine Police, to launch a coordinated operation to locate the victims and recover the boat.
He said the operation resulted in the recovery of the hijacked passenger boat and the rescue of 11 victims who had been abandoned by the suspected criminals at Asak-Ikang Creek.
Folirunsho added that another 11 passengers who had escaped during the attack were later located and accounted for at the OPDS Sector 4 command post, bringing the total number of rescued and accounted-for victims to 22.
The rescued passengers were taken to the FOB Ibaka Sickbay for medical assessment and first aid before arrangements were made for their safe return to Calabar alongside the recovered boat.
Folorunsho said no ransom was paid for the release of the victims.
Flag Officer Commanding, Eastern Naval Command, Rear Admiral Chidozie Okehie, reaffirmed the Navy’s commitment to sustaining robust maritime security operations and strengthening collaboration with other security agencies.




Investigation2 days agoOsun election proves voters can beat rigging â Pat Utomi
- Investigation2 days ago
Osun election: No political deal with Tinubu â Adelekeâs camp replies Festus Keyamo after he remarked âAgreement is agreement.â
National2 days agoVehicles: Lagos prohibits daily use of dealer plates
Politics3 days agoINEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun governorship election
News2 days agoOsun poll: Keyamo lied, Adeleke has no political deal with Tinubu – Spokesperson
- Investigation2 days ago
âIâm tired of the bâ¬@ting, the l!es and the abus⬠in this marriage. I cannot take it anymoreâ â Nigerian woman shares video allegedly showing husband ass@ulting her
News3 days agoOur X account has been hacked – DHQ
News2 days agoOsun poll: Tinubu congratulates Adeleke, says victory reflects people’s will












