National
Customs hands over 399 seized rifles to small arms control centre

The Comptroller General of Customs (CGC), Dr Bashir Adeniyi, on Monday handed over 399 seized firearms to the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (NCCSALW).
Adeniyi said at the handing over that the firearms were seized during the inspection and documentation of a consignment at the Tincan Island Ports in Lagos.
He said that the firearms were being presented to the Centre to ensure proper custody and accountability in line with national security laws.
“The service has completed inspection and documentation of the consignment intercepted at the port.
“The seizure was made possible through the trade modernisation system and improved risk management tools.
“Technology has now made it possible for Customs personnel to identify high-risk containers without examining every shipment manually,” the CGC said.
He said that two suspects linked to the consignment were arrested and had been remanded by a Federal Court in Lagos.
Adeniyi added that the firearms would now be managed by the NCCSALW under the office of the National Security Adviser.
He stressed that the Customs would not allow Nigerian borders to be used to import arms or other dangerous goods.
He commended the Customs Area Controller, Comptroller Joseph Anani, and officers at the Tincan Island Port for their diligence and urged all personnel to continue their vigilance across all commands.
The comptroller general of customs warned that any officer found compromising the system would face disciplinary action.
He also acknowledged the cooperation of other security agencies and international partners in combating arms trafficking.
“The service remains committed to protecting the nation’s borders and supporting government’s efforts on national security.
“Our prayer is that Nigeria will continue to be at peace and in prosperity,” Adeniyi said.
Babatunde Kokumo, Director-General, NCCSALW, said that the centre received 399 seized illicit weapons and two suspects from the Nigeria Customs Service at Tin Can Island Port.
Kokumo commended the Customs’ role in arms recovery and the Comptroller-General of Customs, Adeniyi, for his leadership and continuous collaboration in recovering illicit arms and curbing proliferation nationwide.
Kokumo said illegal arms drove terrorism, banditry and kidnapping,
He added that over 21,000 weapons had been retrieved and 19,000 destroyed since NCCSALW’s establishment.
He said that four suspects faced prosecution, while the weapons had been catalogued.
Referencing 2024 seizures at Lagos Airport and Onne Port, Kokumo said that the suspects were in detention and undergoing prosecution.
He noted that NCCSALW would catalogue, profile and destroy unserviceable weapons.
Kokumo called for synergy in arms control and urged inter-agency cooperation, intelligence sharing and civil disarmament.
He thanked the National Security Adviser (NSA) and the customs service, pledging strict accountability in line with national and international laws.
Comptroller Joseph Anani, the Customs Area Controller, Tincan Island Command, said arms control required strong collaboration among all security agencies and strict adherence to the law in the management and accounting of the seized items.
Anani commended the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons for its partnership, and expressed confidence that their cooperation would yield positive results in national security.

Investigation3 days agoKebbi man arrested over alleged ritual desecration of Qurâan after burying it in pit with sâ¬men to make woman more submissive to her husband
Society2 days agoNationwide Queues At KFC Outlets As Ghanaians Rush For GH¢15 Anniversary Promo
Society2 days agoMan Buys 42 Packs Of KFC’s GH¢15 Anniversary Deal At Sakumono Branch
Society2 days agoMan Travels From Volta Region With “Ghana Must Go” Bag To Stock Up On KFC’s GH¢15 Promo
- Investigation2 days ago
Man alleged to be a lecturer is str!pped and b£@ten by Unizik students after a female student alleged that he molâ¬sted
Investigation2 days agoBillionaire Joseph Ezeokafor, father of socialite Jowizaza, regains freedom from the kidnappersâ den
Investigation2 days agoâHilda Baci and Dapper are no longer togetherâ â Lawyer reacts after Seyi Vibez drags celebrity chef into music label drama
Investigation3 days agoSeyi Vibez continues to drag Dapper Music amid alleged â¦1bn missing funds












