Breaking
Lagos-Calabar Highway: Vandals remove 1,800 drainage covers, destroy 1km fence, 75 signs — Police

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 12 suspects for alleged vandalism and theft of government infrastructure on the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway.
The suspects, aged between 19 years and 32 years, were arrested on Aug. 17 following intelligence gathered during investigations into repeated vandalism of infrastructure on the highway.
The Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, Mr Fatai Tijani, disclosed this at a joint press conference with the Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olufemi Dare, at the command’s headquarters in Ikeja on Thursday.
Tijani said that some vandalised iron materials were recovered from the suspects, adding that preliminary investigations linked them to the alleged offence.
“The suspects have also made statements regarding their alleged involvement in the offence,” he said.
The commissioner described vandalism of the coastal road infrastructure as a cause for concern, saying that it could undermine government projects aimed at improving transport, connectivity and economic activities.
He gave the assurance that the suspects would face diligent investigation and those found wanting would be prosecuted in accordance with the law.
Tijani urged Lagos residents to be vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities to the police.
He said the command would continue to work with the Federal Ministry of Works and other stakeholders to strengthen protection of critical infrastructure.
He also commended police officers, community leaders, government agencies and other stakeholders for providing credible information.
Tijani reiterated the command’s commitment to proactive, intelligence-led and community-oriented policing, stressing that Lagos would not be a safe haven for criminals.
The Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olufemi Dare, commended the police for arresting the suspects and protecting infrastructure on the coastal road.
Dare, who represented the Minister of Works, Sen. David Umahi, said the Federal Government had invested trillions of Naira in the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway project and would not allow criminals to undermine the effort.
He said that about 1,800 drainage covers had been installed on the road since January, but some had been vandalised, with the concrete covers broken and reinforcement materials removed.
Dare added that about one kilometre of the clear-view fence installed on the road had been removed by vandals.
He said about 75 directional signs had equally been removed, adding that such acts were capable of affecting safety and proper use of the road.
According to him, the police have also arrested some persons allegedly operating illegal toll points on the coastal road.
Dare emphasised that the road was not a truck park or trading area.
He said that illegal parking, trading, bicycle riding, motorcycle riding and movement of animals would not be tolerated on the highway.
He urged Lagos residents to report suspicious activities on the highway to the police and other relevant authorities.
The controller commended Lagos Police Command, contractors and other stakeholders for efforts in protecting the project.
NAN

News2 days agoLagos Manager in Court Over Alleged ₦6.1m Warehouse Theft
- Investigation3 days ago
Sad! Veteran Nollywood actor, Taiwo Hassan âOgogoâ battling stage 4 cancer
Investigation3 days agoNigeriaâs inflation drops again to 15.43%
Investigation3 days agoFour Almajiri d!e after suspected food poisoning in Kano
News2 days agoAbuja Flood Crisis: Maitama Structures Face Demolition Over Blocked Waterways
- Investigation2 days ago
âI am not going to apologize to Monday Okpobolo,I posted his WAEC results for the people of Edo state to see who is governing them. I feel so bad for his kids- singer, Davido
Investigation2 days agoI wouldâve been in Osun if Tinubu wanted APC victory. Thereâs nothing Adeleke can do – Wike
News1 day agoOyedele Reveals How Reforms Generated ₦15.8tn for Nigeria













